THE FAMOUS MAD HATTER HAT
I decided that I wanted to make my own version...
THE MAD KITTEH HAT
Leopard Print...fitting right?!?
This is how I made this hat...
I took an old Holiday Dress Up Hat to use as the actual "Hat" and poster board.
I measured 10" in height on the poster board for the actual top hat portion and cut it...
*later on I realized it was too tall and cut it down to 5 1/2"*
Hot glued and wrapped the poster board around the dome of the hat and taped the ends together
Took a piece of card board and flipped the hat upside down on top of it. I then measured a circle about 2" larger then the neck of the hat. This is going to be the very TOP of the hat. If you notice on the HATTER hat, it V shapes up.
Like so...(green is the bottom of the hat..head insert...cardboard is the top)
Then I HOT GLUED THE TAR out of it to make sure it held!
This is where I failed! I cut the rim off the hat....dunno what I was chinking... so I had to rebuild a whole new rim...TOOK FOR-EV-ER!
After the rim was established I used felt to secure the pieces together and add texture.
Cut down to a small size. I just SLICED it like a ninja and cut like a razor blade..right through the middle, then slid the top over the bottom and secured with a little hot glue.
I used an old crib sheet to cover the hat.
Pull tight, glue, fold...over and over. I covered the whole hat with the sheet.
Took it outside and gave it a quick coat of Brown spray paint. If I had a brown sheet or material, that would have saved this step.
Looks a little questionable ????
Then I used an old sheer Leopard window drape to cover the hat...yet again. The Mad Hatters Hat has a print, so I wanted this hat to have one...but be DIFFERENT.
I am sure the Hatter would approve of Leopard. This time I tried just one large piece of fabric and tuck and glue. I made it way too difficult with the sheet. Live and learn...
A hot glued fabric bunched mess...for now.
He REALLY is MADDDD!
Ok moving on....
wahhh-oops...side tracked by Nate Berkus...
Here we go...I used felt to line the inside of the hat to hide all the ugliness hot glue leaves behind.
To make the hat pins, I used kabob skewers. Spray painted them gold...and dug threw my button stash and found something workable
A little hot glue to the back...
VIOLA! hat pins.....
The Mad Hatters hat has a peacock feather along the sash band...I didn't want a peacock feather. I had a bag full of rainbow colored feathers from my "Bow maker" days...
A piece of felt for the bones of the feather flock
A dab of hot glue and started layering the feathers.
and so on....
Added a animal print scarf around the hat....
FINALLY Finished! If you decide to make a Mad Hatter hat...learn from my mistakes. In the end I love the way it turned out. Totally different from the movie hat, but very similar.
The whole Mad Hatter Costume is complete!